Thursday, October 7, 2010

Awareness

I just needed to write this post because I'm starting to get a little more scared about my surgery on Monday.  Given that it was just breast cancer awareness month in Sept. I wanted to urge women to be checking themselves for lumps. I'm sure that mine is probably not cancerous but you can never be too sure.  A few months ago I had just stopped breastfeeding and I found a lump in my breast that was the size of a large marble.  I thought it was related to breastfeeding so I didn't think much of it, until I started asking some friends if they had experienced the same thing when they stopped, most did not.  So I decided to call my obgyn and they said it may be a clogged milk duct and to try and express it and give it 2 more weeks. Needless to say I tried all of that and nothing happened, the lump still remained.  So they sent me for an ultrasound, they said there is definitely something there but they couldn't really see it on the ultrasound. So they sent me to go see a surgeon about doing a surgical biopsy.  So this is where I am now, getting surgery on my breast on Monday to find out if it is cancerous. Im hoping and praying that it is not, and I feel pretty good that it isn't, given that I have no history of it in my family.  All I'm trying to say is if you find something, don't let anyone try to tell you that it's nothing, until you know for sure.  Be aware!

13 comments:

The Turners said...

Good luck! I hope everything is ok!
I'm glad you were able to get checked :)

Mandy said...

I had NO idea. Keep me posted. We will keep you in mind in our prayers. Good thing YOU checked it out and talked to people about it. I COMPLETELY understand why you are scared; I would be too...but, I have a good feeling that everything will check out okay in the end.

Anonymous said...

Um!!!!!! Hello!!!!!!!!!!! why didn't you tell me! So sad! i hope all goes well on monday! call me! miss you!
xoxo

blake and mckelle said...

Good luck with everything Marissa! I know how scary it can be...I've been there before! Hope it all goes well!!!

Mackay Family said...

I hope everything is okay! Good luck with surgery on Monday...keep us posted. My prayers are with you and your cute family!

Unknown said...

Good luck with everything! You're a brave soul. I'm sure you'll be fine, especially when it's so little.

Shay @ Sugarflies Designs said...

You should have told me when we talked today! I had no clue. We will keep you in our prayers and please update your blog if you find out anything :)

Jamie said...

i had no idea you were going through this! i'll be praying for you! hang in there girl!

Mika McDaniel said...

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this Marissa! I am sure everything well go well and the results will be good! You will be in our prayers! We love you! <3

Kali said...

Poor Riss! Kelly told me about this the other day. Hope all goes well!

Lindsey Walker said...

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck with everything and keep us posted. I am so worried now.

Rachael said...

I'll keep you in my prayers. I hope everything goes well! Keep us posted.

Reid, Megan, Jackson and Aiva said...

Maris i am so sorry!! I had no idea. Please keep us updated on how things go and I will keep you in my prayers.